A serial sexual predator nicknamed the “Night Stalker” has finally been arrested by Queensland Police over a string of sexual assaults in Brisbane and the Gold Coast possibly dating back to 2005.
The 50-year-old Gold Coast man was arrested on Saturday, January 21 following a huge police operation to catch him, after linking at least four alleged sexual assaults between 2008 – 2016 as the work of the same perpetrator.
However, detectives have informed local media that the same man could be responsible for another eight offences, some of which date back to 2005.
The man’s most recent alleged attack was in March of last year at Molendinar, while police will also allege the man is also responsoible for further attacks in Coombabah in 2008, Springwood in 2015, Sunnybank in 2016 and Southport in 2016.
The man became known as the “Night Stalker” because of his modus operandi of targeting victims in their own beds, with most attacks occurring in the middle of the night, inside the victim’s own home.
Operation Melya was established in February 2016 after detectives used DNA from the man’s most recent attack in March 2016 to link it to other assaults.
Detective Inspector Mark Thompson said police still had plenty of work to do on the case, and urged anyone who had been assaulted, but not reported it, to come forward as a matter of urgency.
“Detectives have also been conducting detailed investigations into eight further offences, which we believe could have been committed by same offender, these offences steam back to a period of about 2005,” he said.
“We understand due to the horrific and private nature of sexual violence, there may be victims out there in the community who have not reported offences to police, we urge these people to come forward.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.