Irish man murdered in Sydney was on the run from police in Ireland for assaulting women and biting man’s ear off

In a somewhat bizarre turn of events, an Irish man tragically stabbed to death allegedly by his fiancee during a domestic dispute in Sydney this month was reportedly on the run from police in Ireland over a string of assaults on women and biting a man’s ear off.

Irish media have reported that David Walsh, 29, had five assault charges against him including one of allegedly beating up a woman; another allegedly for biting a man’s ear off; and another for allegedly assaulting police, including one female officer, before he left the country ahead of a court case in mid-2013.

Murder victim David Walsh who was reportedly on the run from Irish police

Mr Walsh was allegedly stabbed in the neck with a bottle by his 25-year-old fiancee, Cathrina ‘Tina’ Ann Cahill, in the north-western Sydney suburb of Padstow on the street outside their home in the early hours of Saturday, February 18. The pair had only been engaged for a matter of weeks before the incident.

It is believed that a fight broke out when another man visited the couple’s Padstow home late in the evening. The couple’s housemates were also home at the time.

Ms Cahill was charged with Mr Walsh’s murder by NSW Police later in the day after being interviewed by detectives.

In a Facebook post last year, Ms Cahill had hinted at a sometimes-fiery relationship between the two.

“(When) we’re good, we are good, (when) we are bad, everyone should run,” she posted on the social media site.

Murder victim David Walsh with his fiancee and alleged killer, Tina Cahill

It is presumed Mr Walsh, also known as Daithy Ian Walsh, escaped his home country as he was aware that he would be facing a possible lengthy prison sentence over the numerous assault charges he faced stemming from three incidents in 2012 and 2013.

It is alleged he assaulted a woman on May 8, 2012 before he was then charged with assaulting three gardai inside a police station, including a female officer, on New Year’s Day in 2013 at his home town of Enniscorthy.

Mr Walsh, a father-of-three, was then reportedly again charged with assault on July 9, 2013, this time over a fight with a man in a fast food restaurant in Wexford during which he allegedly bit the victim’s ear off.

A warrant was issued for Mr Walsh when he failed to appear in court on July 10, 2013. It is believed he travelled to Australia instead to escape the charges and commence a new life.

Mr Walsh’s family are well-known locals in Enniscorthy with his family operating a highly regarded building company.

A GoFundMe appeal has been launched for Mr Walsh’s family so that they may travel to Australia to return his body to Ireland and also follow the murder trial against his fiancee. Over $12,000 has been raised so far with more than 300 people contributing to the appeal.

The murder trial against Ms Cahill has been adjourned until April.

Images: Facebook


About Staff Reporters 33 Articles
Crime never sleeps, and nor do we. True crime in real time. All the time. Our team of reporters brings you the latest in crime news from Australia and around the world. For tips and news, contact:

Be the first to comment

Leave Your Thoughts Below